Excerpt from „Vegetarisches aus 1001 Nacht“, pala-verlag, page 53
Red lentil soup from the Lebanon
- 100 g unbleached rice (approx. 3,5 oz)
- ½ l vegetable broth (approx. 1,05 pint)
- 250 g red lentils (approx. 9 oz)
- 1 onion of medium size
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil or margarine
- 3 stalks fresh cilantro greens
- fresh lemon juice
1. Rinse rice and soak for about half an hour in water, drain.
2. Add rice to vegetable broth and bring to boil once for a short time, then simmer at lower setting for approx. 20 minutes. Rinse red lentils and add to rice, boil for another 20 minutes. Add some water if necessary.
3. Peel onions and garlic, chop finely and fry to golden brown in oil, add to soup. Add salt to taste.
4. Should the soup get to gooey add some more water.
5. Chop cilantro leaves, add to soup and allow to rest for a few minutes.
6. At last add some drops of lemon juice and serve the soup on a plate.
The Lebanese cuisine is highly renowned for her appetizers, called »Mezze«. They have raised this to real mastery.
In the Lebanon this soup will be served as appetizer, but also as main course.